Saturday, March 4, 2006

Prioritization....

Reflecting on some of the recent events in my life made me realize just how much I really count on my faith in God. I’m constantly relying on other people, on my own understanding and knowledge of the world, and on my own experience to get my through life. But I came to a point, again :-), where I had to completely acknowledge that I truly hold no power. I don’t possess the ability to live my life well. I can’t do things right when I do them by myself and for myself. When I try to figure it all out on my own I not only fail to accomplish my own goals, but I turn my back on the only person who can really take my life and make it worth living, God. This work reflects, in a way, this struggle to focus my life on the most beneficial pursuits. It’s a struggle to make sure that my priorities are in the correct order while I try to balance my own selfish desires. This work talks mostly about the pull between two loves. I came to a point where I could acknowledge the one love that I *must* have needed to be placed first, but my other love, that reflects the former, can still exist, as long as it is kept in check. I don’t like changing the way I think, but I have been forced to reorganize my priorities. Thankfully though, this doesn’t mean that I’m chained to some self-righteous dogmatism…to me, placing my love for God above all others represents a freedom; and has allowed me to live a fuller life of late, while still not abandoning my other love.
Just some thoughts to consider while you read this next little piece that I’ve written :-)

May the wind under your wings bear you
where the sun sails and the moon walks,

~ Jon ~

Humbled

Floating in the sky,
Passing through the clouds,
Singing to the air,
Searching for your face.

Since then I’ve found,
The one I was looking for,
Spirit saw it was not you,
Not the one I long t’(e)mbrace.

My final, everlasting love,
That never bends nor breaks,
I focused on her life of light,
Forgetting whence it came.

Darkened shadows clouded,
Vision once so clear,
My was heart torn, divided,
Tween love and love once more.

Love for her, love for God,
Decided I on me alone,
Freely gave my heart to her,
And past His face right by.

The war within, nere shown without,
Battles - want with need,
By sunny day or shaded fog,
This war I fought alone.

Wounds received, blackened, battered,
Stubble I and homeward long,
My heart grown down, weary,
Prostrate fall before your throne.

I truly am but nothing now,
No winds, boasts, no strength,
Though now I live, hope do I
In future, Plans for good.

Turned I to face but Him,
My Lord, My God my King,
He will my strength and portion be,
Forever and amen.

Though chapter ends,
Saga stretches on,
My love for you, diverted,
Grown always, never less.

For you my soul still feels,
My heart still beats within,
For you will never see this end,
Committed, everlasting,
In love, forever, I’ll remain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... Jon, you are an amazing poet! I greatly enjoyed reading your posts. I have never been one to write much poetry, and what little I have butchered out in scrawled hand has been rather disappointing. However, you have inspired me to grasp the pen once more, and turn forth such phrases, whether heart wrenching or softly lilting, as best I may.

The content of your peoms also gave me some ideas to ponder, which I always enjoy.

I will be praying for you.

~Andrew